Sunday, October 12, 2008

Gotta love the blues ...

I've been to see a few blues bands in Rome, and they are amazing. Who would've thought Italy had such great blues musicians? There's a harmonica player here who used to tour with the son of Muddy Waters. Needless to say, he's amazing.

Here is the playlist I put together for my first lesson (which wasn't really an official lesson)

-The Thrill is Gone - BB King
-Red House - Jimi Hendrix
-Frisco Blues - John Lee Hooker
-Spoonful - Cream
-Six O'Clock Blues - Eric Bibb
-Down in the Swamp - Tab Benoit
-Dangerous Mood - Keb Mo
-Give Me One Reason - Tracy Chapman
-Don't Ever Let Nobody Drag Your Spirit Down - Eric Bibb, Rory Block, Maria Muldaur
-Got My Mojo Workin' - Asylum Street Spankers
-Blues for Angel - Soul Miner's Daughter
-Down Home Blues - Etta James
-Black Night - John Lee Hooker
-In the Mississippi River - Mavis Staples

PS - As we were waiting for the blues band to play at Ombre Rosse, Jeff noticed the music playing over the sound system, and asked what it was. I had never heard it before, but my gut instinct was ... sounds like Mavis Staples. So he asks the bartender, and what do you know, I was right. I guess the hours on end of listening to blues have done something after all. :-)

1 comment:

Mario Sabatino said...

The band at Ombre Rosse was composed by 3 components of The Caldonians Blues Band (the harmonica, drums and guitar). The Caldonians were in tour with Mud Morganfield this year and they'll probably repeat their amazing experience nex year. The bass player, Lucio, is also the bass player of The Red Wagons Blues Band http://www.myspace.com/theredwagonsbluesband (my favourite) and the bass player and singer of the Scaramanoushe http://www.myspace.com/scaramanouche . Ciao.