Thursday, January 29, 2009

1-17-09

Drop Dead Blues - Lesson

These are the songs Alex and I used to teach our musicality lesson. For the main part, we'd pick three versions of the same song.
Note: Integrating so much music into the lesson made it a lot easier to DJ the dance. I feel like people had instant song recognition, and since we went over quite a broad range of styles, most dancers were comfortable with a broader variety than usual. They even managed to dance to Robert Johnson (which is usually hard to connect with for beginners). Yay!

Blues Fundamentals
-Damn Right I've Got the Blues - Buddy Guy

Musicality
St James Infirmary
-Louis Armstrong
-Bobby "Blue" Bland
-Lou Rawls
I Put A Spell On You
-Nina Simone
-Tab Benoit
-Kim Nalley
I Believe I'll Dust My Broom
-Robert Johnson
-Taj Mahal
-Pyeng Threadgill

Contrast
-Joe Lee's Rock - Boy Blue, Willie Jones, Joe Lee
-Find My Baby - Moby

Connecting with Your Partner
-Give Me One Reason - Tracy Chapman
-Stranded In Your Love - Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings


Dance Set

-I Just Wanna Make Love to You - Muddy Waters
-Sugarman - Kid Johnny Lang & the Big Bang
-I Put a Spell On You - Tab Benoit
-Oreo Cookie Blues - Lonnie Mack
-Come on in my Kitchen - Chris Thomas King
-In the Mississippi River - Mavis Staples
-Son of a Preacher Man - Dusty Springfield
-Black Velvet - Alannah Myles
-Find My Baby - Moby
-Idlewild Blues - Outkast
-Down Home Blues - Etta James
-Dangerous Mood - Keb Mo
-Stranded in Your Love - Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings
-Tell Me More And More And Then Some - Nina Simone
-Black Night - John Lee Hooker
-Come Rain or Come Shine - BB King & Eric Clapton
-Dissolved Girl - Massive Attack

No comments: