Sunday, November 7, 2010

11-06-10

"Everything But Dance" Evening Dance

I DJ'ed a quick set for the EBD evening dance on Saturday. I took the DJing classes (taught by John Brooks, Devona Cartier and Julie Brown), which was awesome cause I got to pick their brains for two days straight. About 15 minutes towards the end of my set, as I'm winding down the dancers (I had last set of the night), Devona comes up to me and says: "You know what I want to see? Make them dance fast." Alas, Devona's wishes shouldn't go ignored ... so I tried. I succeeded, but was sweating bullets, and the last couple of songs of my set were haphazardly placed. Everything up to Ray Charles I'm happy with ... after that, I was at a loss of where to go. I think I need to listen to my music more ... do more research. But it was an insane kind of thrill to sweat through the end of that set. I must be crazy to enjoy that.

-That's Why I'm Crying - Koko Taylor
-Gimme A Penny - Big Mama Thornton
-Sittin' & Cryin' the Blues - Willie Dixon & Memphis Slim
-Short Dressed Woman - Lafayette Leake
-Kansas City Wrinkles - Count Basie
-Sugar Blues - Preservation Hall Jazz Band
-Summertime - Renee Olstead
-Please Mr Jailer - Wynona Carr
-I Got a Woman - Ray Charles
-Power of the Blues - Brother Yusef
-Home - Marc Broussard

No comments: