Friday, April 9, 2010

Why I love Blues

I ran across a thought today, and it beautifully summed up how I feel about blues dancing. I don't actually know the person who said it, but I hope she doesn't mind me passing it on:

"Isn't blues dancing just the physical celebration of Living despite how much pain and heartache we experience day to day? ...Blues 'aesthetic' is nothing without augmenting each move with a tempered sense of loss and of aging, a willingness to express aggression and even anger, a broken agreement to relive sorrow, but also a decision of optimism to explore joy, find a new romance, and carry a bold sense of confidence into each spontaneous (yet intentional) move and twist of the body? Personally, my favorite part of the spirit of blues, is simply holding someone else close--and with my eyes closed, gladly sighing with the sense that everything's gonna be alright."
-Amanda Lorenz

No comments: