Monday, October 4, 2010

New Thought: Artist of the Week #1: Erin Harpe and the Delta Swingers

So I'm trying to branch out and discover more blues, which always works better when I have something concrete to hold onto. Thus, my newest attempt at a project: I want to feature a different blues artist every week. I'll probably focus more on local artists who are less well known, though I might venture into the historic too. It will depend entirely on my mood and what I'm listening to at the moment. But hopefully any readers will get something out of it too.



My honorary first artist of choice is Erin Harpe. Erin is a Boston local, and after hearing a lot about her from fellow DJs, I finally heard her perform at Johnny D's for the Boston Blues Challenge (the winner of which will go on to the International Blues Challenge 2010 in Memphis). I'm definitely keeping my fingers crossed for them - they were fantastic. Erin  is the daughter of bluesman Neil Harpe, and started playing in her teens. I love her traditional fingerpicking style, and both her playing and her voice are strong enough to hold their own against any blues band. Check out her website here.

Also, here's a clip of her performing at the Boston Blues Challenge. You can see she filled the dance floor (including Gui and I dancing in the front). You can purchase her music from her website, or on Amazon.

Mississippi Delta Blues  - Erin and Neil Harpe (Country Blues Duets)


Winnie the Wailer - Erin and Neil Harpe (Country Blues Duets)


Happy listening!

No comments: